Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Purpose of the Law

Galatians 3:19-25

The purpose of the law is to keep sin in check until Christ comes can solves the sin problem. Moses was not the only mediator although all revelation comes from God. It was never the purpose of the law to give life if not righteousness would have been possible by the law. The law of Moses condemns all as being under sin that the promise may be fulfilled by trusting in Jesus. Before faith in Jesus became a reality, we were kept in check by the law, placed under a curse until Christ came. Therefore, the law had power to punish as well as to instruct to preserve Israel hope until Christ came. But after Christ came, we are no longer under the civil law which consists of hygienic codes to agricultural law and civil ordinances.

1) The law is relevant for without the law, sin would abound.

2) Christ came to solve our sin problem.

3) The law is not to give life but faith and trust in Christ is.

4) We are no longer under the civil law but are still under the moral law

If there is no law we would not know what is sin. Then lawlessness and sin would be a common place and darkness would reside in man heart.

Sometimes I like to think I can do everything myself. But I have to learn that at times I will not be able to overcome my sin on my own, I need Christ who overcame sin to help me to overcome my sin as well. I need to not put so much pressure on myself but rather give room for God to work.

Through the law we may not gain life everlasting but trust in the one who can will give us. I should not see the law as an end but a means to end. It would lead me to become more Christ like and to have faith and trust in Him because the law is the written form of his character.

There is no more need to observe circumcision, the different festivals, the agricultural laws, the hygiene codes of their time and the civil laws of their time. But it is useful to understand how they point to Christ especially the festivals. I should not forget the moral law has always been there as the book of Romans explain.


No comments: